Friday, February 11, 2005

Debbie

I was lucky enough to be born 4th in a family having 4 children. Being the youngest of the brood has pluses and minuses. We’ll look at the bright side because flashlights are useless during the day. For me there was things that I was able to enjoy like my siblings record albums and art supplies that gave me a lot of happiness and helped to form the person I am.
Sadly, it wasn’t until I was in my thirties that I learned to appreciate one of my sisters. Debbie took life at her own pace and for a long time I mistook that as she was slow. Debbie wasn’t slow, she just liked to have a complete comprehension of what she was learning. Most students focus on the items that will be on the test, get the grade and soon forget what they had studied because they didn’t learn. Debbie learned.
Being as I was a raging party monster I resented my sister in my youth. I was doing things I wasn’t supposed to do and I knew it, so I had to hide these actions. Nobody needs the wrath of the parents. I used to think Debbie was against me, out for me and after me. Yikes.
One of the first things I remember learning from Debbie was around 10 years ago. We had met by chance and decided to go to a fast food for coffee and fries while we talked. Debbie had one of her little one with her, and not being a parent myself I became more aware of the little ones and their elders around us. Debbie picked up on this and quietly pointed out a lady that was rushing and pushing her little one. Debbie explained how destructive that behavior is because children time to eat and digest. I was impressed with Debbie’s insight and her observation comes back into my mind when I see a grown-up impatiently nagging a child. Fast food restaurants are depressing places.
Many years passed from that day and I had a great change in my life. I reached out to those I mistreated in an attempt to make amends. Debbie was so glad I called. She did not bear me any ill will for things I may have done. She loved me and was glad to hear from me. I talked to her about how bad I felt for being such a rotten kid. I mean, I was not nice to my sister, I’d even done some malicious property damage. I use to be a punk.
Debbie knew I was going through tough times growing up and she explained that older children are to help younger children and adults are to help younger people. The older more experienced person has attained a understanding of lessons such as school work, morals, game play - whatever it may be. And it is the responsibility of the older person to be patient and lovingly help younger folks to learn and understand lessons in life. Someone has taught us, now we teach someone. This is our duty. And we must perform these tasks with patience and love, remembering that new lessons may be difficult for the learner to understand at first.
I also learned from Debbie that we must keep in mind that we are all given a certain amount of time in life and then we are gone. So it is important to make ourselves available to family, friends, neighbors and loved ones. Anyone can pass on at any time and then your chance to tell them or show them you love them is gone forever. Don’t squander your time.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

It's true we should appreciate those around us while they are still here. I grew up as an only child and am very jelous of people that have close bonds with their siblings. Being around people that love us definetly helps to shape the people that we become.

Cheers,

February 13, 2005 at 11:40 AM  
Blogger bob said...

Dan,

Thank you for the nice comments you left on my blog.

Time is the most valuable asset we have. Once you spend it, you can never get it back. The best way to spend your time is with family and friends. I know I have been gulity of forgetting that at times. We all have. Family and friends is what grounds us and keeps me true.

Surfers Rule! www.surfersrule.blogspot.com
Bob D.

February 14, 2005 at 9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home